Chapter 1 The Structure of the English Sentence (第一章 绪 论 )
本章节在 2001-2008年的考试中只考过一次(列举至少 5种构词法并举例说明)
1. Present the grammatical units that form a hierarchical order.
2. Morphemes 词素
(Terms: morpheme, morph, allomorph, free morpheme and bound morpheme)
3.Finite clauses and infinite clauses (限定性分句与非限定性分句 , 定义参见下面的简答题部分 ) Finite Clauses
(1)名词性分句:What he said was incredible.
(2)关系分句 This is one of the best books I’ ve ever read.
(3)状语分句 If I were in your shoes, I wouldn’ t quit.
(1) 非限定性名词性分句:She didn’ t know what to say.
(2)非限定性关系分句:The man standing by the window is her brother.
(3) 非限定性状语分句:Published ten years ago, this is still the best dictionary.
2. Define the complex sentence
The complex sentence is a sentence that contains more than one clause that are joined together by subordinating one to another. [复杂句是用从属连词 (如 if, when, though等 ) 连接的一个以上分 句的句子 .]
1. There are ( ) morphemes in “gunfighter”.
A. two B. three C. four D. one
2. In “He downed his beer and punched me on the nose.” “downed” belongs to ( ) . (P13) A. backformation B. clipping C. conversion D. blending
3. Suffixes basically change ( ) .
A. word meaning B. word class C. nothing D. word formation
4. The prefix “uni -” means ( ) .
A. without B. self C. false D. one
Key: 1. B 2. C 3. B 4. D
1. In terms of which three factors are words classified?
The three factors are: the environment where words occur, their internal structure and their meaning.
2. Define the finite clauses and the non-finite clauses.
The finite clauses are the ones that have subjects and finite verbs as predicates . The non-finite clauses are the ones that leave subjects unsaid and verbs in non-finite forms . (限定分句是主语加限定动词作谓语的分句。非限定分句是省略主语而动词以非限定 形式出现 (主语省略是因为其前面或