Key to Exercise
4. Complete the sentences by translating the Chinese in the brackets
1. differ 2. differently, different 3. difference
4. serious, serious, seriously 5. seriousness, seriously polluted
6. Fortunately/ Luckily, pollution, seriously, pollute
4 Translate the following sentences using words and expressions taken from the text.
They took advantage of our helpless situation and took over our company.
2. 虽然我们面前仍有困难,但我肯定我们中国人有智慧靠自己实现国家的和平统一 。
Although there are still difficulties ahead of us, I am sure that we Chinese people will have the wisdom to bring about the peaceful unification of our country on our own.
It is wrong to put emphasis on nothing but GDP. It will give rise to many serious problems.
He loves to show off his wealth, but this is all in vain. People still avoid him as though he were poison.
He soon fell in love with the village and was determined to make it a beautiful garden together with other villagers. 6. 我们必须花更多的钱来和全球气温上升作斗争。另外,我认为我们还必须采用严厉的法律措施。这不只是一个 钱的问题。
We must spend more money fighting against global warming. In addition, we must resort to tough laws. It is not just a matter of money.
When the police arrive at the school, the students and the teachers were still in a daze.
This corrupt official was still clinging to his power. He refused to step aside .
9. 当那个人最后进入视界时,我发现他原来是我父亲。不知道他怎么在这大雪中找到这个地方的。那时候,我放 声大哭起来。
When the man finally came into view, I found it was my father. I didn’ t know how he managed to find this place in the blinding snow. At that moment, I burst into tears.
10. 她不时地偷偷朝他张望。 她发现自己第一次这样看一个年轻男子。
She glanced at him from time to time. It was the first time in her life that she had found herself looking at a young like that.
5. Fill u in the blanks with the correct prepositions or adverbs
1 of 2 from 3 for 4 out 5 up 6 up 7 up for 8. out 9. with