2) turn against
3) a couple of
4) takes his time
9) stands a chance
4) has saved up
5) stood a chance
6) were awarded
10) around (which student life) revolves
1) Joe wrote to say that he had to put off his visit because of his illness.
2) Despite the noise, they went on working as if nothing were happening.
3) Traffic was held up for several hours by the accident.
4) Called (up) on to speak at the meeting, I couldn't very well refuse.
5) Mrs. Stevenson looked in the cupboard and found there was not a single lump of sugar left.
6) It was the rumor that turned Joe against his twin brother.
7) We wondered how Sara was getting on in her new job.
8) Although Anne agreed with me on most points, there was one on which she was unwilling to give in.
9) Visitors could photograph almost anything here without having to ask for permission.
10) Whether we make an excursion or stay home will depend on tomorrow's weather.